Microsoft has now provided a new whitepaper that explains everything around the new surrogate key concepts added in AX2012.
You can download the whitepaper here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35369
From the document:
- Explanation of surrogate keys concept and definition
- Table Field Group AutoIdentification (Automatically managed through replacement key vs. manual managed in advanced scenarios)
- Forms “Reference Control” (display human-understandable data in place of surrogate foreign keys)
- Forms “Reference Group control” (specialized version of the group control to show primary table data)
- Forms “Segmented Entry control” (specialized control designed specifically for use with account number entry)
- Forms “Reference Data Source” (Read only data source of a referenced primary table, to show additional information in a form)
- Forms “Reference Fields” (physical binding to Reference Controls that allows developer to override default lookup and resolving behavior)
- Class SysReferenceTableLookup for custom lookup coding
- Class FormRun extensions
In addition for all topics there are provided examples to understand how to use the functionalities in different scenarios.
This whitepaper is a must read for each developer using AX2012!!!